[SWODY1] Notice/update regarding email weather bulletins

Severe Weather Outlook Day 1 swody1 at goshenarc.org
Tue Feb 20 00:35:34 UTC 2007

As many of you have noticed there have not been a lot of weather
bulletins coming to you by email in the last month or so.  The cold
weather has exposed the slow failure of the LNB (low-noise block
down-converter) on my Ku-band EMWIN satellite downlink.  When LNBs
get old, their center-frequencies become very temperature
dependent.  In other words, the colder outside it gets, the futher
off-frequency it drifts, until the signal drops to below the noise
threshhold.  At that point the ingest engines locks up and no more
message get parsed.

So as long as the temperature stays above the mid-twenties, the data
will keep flowing.  A new LNB has been ordered, and hopefully the
four-foot snow drift around the dish will melt about the same time
the new LNB shows up.

That's the update...it appears to be running smoothly right now with
the temperatures mild, so we'll see what happens in the next week.

If you are on more that one list, you have received one message for
each list that you are on.  Apologies for any duplicates.

Calvin F. Swartzendruber
calvinfs at goshen.edu